I tried to find a nurse costume online that only had
to be modified a bit. The one I got then was nothing I needed
though, so I ended up making most of the costume myself. The
bought costume was only used for the top part and the basic
I made a short skirt
with a belt to wear over top of the original dress, cut off
the bottom part of the orignal sleeves and added new ones, simply
made out of strips of fabric that I sewed onto the sleeves.
The original collar also got removed and replaced with the Brookhaven
style collar, made from two front pieces and one back piece.
It took me a while playing around to get the size and shape
The biggest challenge was the head: now, years later I know
better ways to make it, but back then I started out making a
frame out of thick wire, which fit around my head. I started
building it up with foam and crafting foam, making the side
parts out of sheets of crafting foam. I cut little holes for
the eyes and in the mouth area to be able to breathe. These
I covered with gray stocking to make them less noticable. Eventually
I added several layers of liquid latex (not on the eye- and
air holes!!) to give it a more skin like look as well as adding
some veins and bumps, then I painted the whole thing.
Then I made a nurse hat out of very stiff white fabric, glued
a teal satin strip around the front edge, and glued the hat
to the costume.
Since the Bubblehead Nurses indexfinger, middle finger and ring
finger appear webbed I used cheap latex gloves to imitate the
effect. I put on one glove, cut off the fingers and the edge
of another glove so it was just one long strip of latex, wrapped
and glued this around the three fingers of the other hand (the
one wearing the latex glove), and used liquid latex to make
the extra piece blend in. That way my hands/gloves looked like
in the game.
The shoes are simply from ebay. Since I have big feet it is
hard for me to find shoes in the right size and color, so I
ended up buying black shoes which got painted white.
To stain the dress I used carefully applied spray paint, acrylic
paint applied with roughly wrinkled up paper towel, splattered
paint onto the dress with a paintbrush and hot chocolate mix.
My body paint was pretty low quality, dilluted acrylic paint.
I don't recommend it since it does not stay on very long and
does not show well in photos unless a lot of it is applied.
The steel pipe I carried around actually really is a steel pipe
from a hardware store, added the ring on the top (made out of
crafting foam) and also added an elbow connection on the top,
then painted the whole thing in rusty metallic colors.